From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] showing files in numerical order
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 23:20:51
1 On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 18:18:36 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > > I know it is a smart-arse answer, but it's better for sore eyes
4 > > if you rename your files to unique-width numbers.
5 > > $ for f in image* ; do mv $f image_`printf %03d ${f##image}` ; done
6 > > This works for zsh and may need slight changes for bash.
7 >
8 > That's what I ended up doing, a job for a very rainy today.
9 > I did it with 'rename', which is fairly powerful,
10 > but dangerous if you don't concentrate, as it will overwrite files.
11
12 Have a look at renamexm from sys-apps/rename (it's actually called rename
13 but for Gentoo is was renamed to avoid a collision). It has a lot more
14 options than rename and defaults to prompting you if you try to rename to
15 an existing file.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting
22 different results." (Albert Einstein)