From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout --> openrc ?
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 19:55:47
1 On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 17:19:51 +0100, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > > ... Openrc will be stabilised at some time,
4 > > so you may as well do the upgrade when you feel like it rather that
5 > > when the devs decide to flip a keyword.
6 >
7 > I thought this was a matter of debate - Openrc was IIRC the creation of
8 > Roy Marples, who was originally a Gentoo dev and the baselayout
9 > maintainer.
10 >
11 > As Roy developed baselayout 2 (or "baselayout - The Next Generation",
12 > as you might call it) he decided to generalise it, AFAICT, in order to
13 > make it useful to other distros or unices (e.g. the BSDs).
14
15 > Roy is no longer a Gentoo dev and is no longer maintaining Openrc:
16 > http://roy.marples.name/projects/openrc
17
18 I sit corrected.
19
20 > I understood the future of Openrc within Gentoo to be in question:
21 > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_ce55de133ca592b638db758c9e457370.xml
22
23 An interesting read, until the rants start, we'll just have to wait and
24 see.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 If you consult enough experts, you can confirm any opinion.