From: Andrew MacKenzie <amackenz@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] migrate from 32 to 64bit...
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 19:24:42
1 +++ Konstantinos Agouros [gentoo-user] [Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 05:39:20PM +0000]:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > the mainboard on my main workbox needs a replacement (currently still an
5 > athlon-xp based system). So I will go amd64 with that machine. Booting
6 > a 64bit kernel on all the 32bit binaries works fine. What gives me a bit
7 > of a headache is how to switch?
8 >
9 > Thought a: create a directory /64 install everything there and then switch
10 > lib, bin /usr
11 >
12 > Thought b: create tbz2 of all the packages and then in one run replace
13 > the 32 packages using emerge but i might run into library problems.
14 >
15 > Anybody has a good and efficient idea, how to do this?
16 I did this way back. I think there was some good instructions somewhere
17 but I can't seem to find them.
18
19 IIRC it involved doing something like an install. You boot from a CD,
20 install the stage tbz. Set your profile properly, and then do "emerge -ev
21 system; emerge -ev world".
25 // Andrew MacKenzie | http://www.edespot.com
26 // GPG public key: http://www.edespot.com/~amackenz/public.key
27 // "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
28 // Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,
29 // by definition, not smart enough to debug it."
30 // -- Brian W. Kernighan