From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub2 or kernel config - unable to properly boot
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:33:55
1 2013/8/27 Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
4 > 2013/8/27 Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
7 >> 2013/8/27 Michael Hampicke <mh@××××.biz>
8 >>
9 >>> Am 26.08.2013 20:11, schrieb Francisco Ares:
10 >>> > Hi, Michael, thanks for you reply.
11 >>> >
12 >>> > Please forgive me for not having mentioned grub2-mkconfig and
13 >>> > grub2-install. The mentioned grub.cfg was a sample from a working
14 >>> system,
15 >>> > with legacy grub:0, from which I have recovered parts of the kernel
16 >>> command
17 >>> > line parameters.
18 >>> >
19 >>> > After "genkernel" finished to build the kernel, I've issued:
20 >>> >
21 >>> > grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
22 >>> > grub2-install /dev/sda
23 >>> >
24 >>> > Sorry for this.
25 >>> > Francisco
26 >>> On a failed boot, can you reach the rescue system from the initramfs?
27 >>> (The message is something like "enter password for rescue or ctrl+d) If
28 >>> so, are you able mount your actual root partiton (sda5) manually?
29 >>>
30 >>>
31 >> No, unfortunately. But I am able to use the grub console prior to boot.
32 >>
33 >> By doing so, I have listed the command about to be used to boot the first
34 >> entry in the grub menu, it installs some modules. In regard of file
35 >> systems, it only loads a ext2 module, and the root partition is ext4
36 >> formated.
37 >>
38 >> Although this kernel has ext2, ext3 and ext4 built in (not modules), can
39 >> this be a cue? Right now I am preparing to format the root partition as
40 >> ext2, just to check this out.
41 >>
42 >> Thanks again
43 >> Francisco
46 > It didn't work, so I suppose the embedded ext2, ext3 and ext4 in the
47 > kernel is not the issue, and might be working. Going to explore the grub
48 > console now.
49 >
50 > Thanks
51 > Francisco
55 In the grub console, prior to boot, I was able to mount any partition using
56 commands like:
57
58 root=(hd0,msdos5)
59
60 and then listing the directory tree structure with " ls / " gave the
61 expected results.
62
63 Francisco