From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo LVM Newbie Question
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:44:19
1 On Monday 27 February 2006 23:01, Zac Slade <krakrjak@××××××××××.net> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo LVM Newbie Question':
3 > On Monday 27 February 2006 00:48, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
4 > > Wrong. Switch to runlevel 1 (using "telinit 1"), which is for
5 > > maintenance. In RL 1, no user processes are running and you can umount
6 > > everything except /.
7
8 Also, some maintenance tasks can be run when a filesystem is mounted
9 read-only that can't be run when a filesystem is mounted read-write. So,
10 you may be able to do some tasks without disturbing the system as much as
11 a init 1 will do.
12
13 > Partially right. Gentoo has several gotchas in runlevel 1. If /usr is
14 > a seperate filesystem you have to be careful.
15
16 Also, I've had init scripts leave things open in both /usr and /var, but
17 these stragglers can be killed simply:
18 fuser -mv <mount_point> # to list
19 fuser -mk <mount_point> # to kill
20
21 In my experience the processes killed will be either recreated when the
22 service is restarted, or were not actually required for any service.
23
24 > Bash by default is not
25 > statically linked and requires readline (which is installed in
26 > /usr/lib).
27
28 Used to be a problem, isn't anymore. My bash is no longer linked to
29 readline at all, and readline has been moved to /lib:
30
31 # ls -l /lib/*readline*
32 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Feb 24 09:11 /lib/libreadline.so ->
33 libreadline.so.5
34 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Feb 24 09:11 /lib/libreadline.so.5 ->
35 libreadline.so.5.1
36 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 246528 Feb 24 09:11 /lib/libreadline.so.5.1
37
38 > ls will require libgpm which is also in /usr/lib.
39
40 This was a bug at one time, but IIRC, has been fixed. My ls no longer
41 links to gpm at all, and gpm has been moved to /lib:
42
43 # ls -l /lib/*gpm*
44 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Feb 24 08:01 /lib/libgpm.so -> libgpm.so.1
45 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Feb 24 08:01 /lib/libgpm.so.1 ->
46 libgpm.so.1.19.0
47 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 24160 Feb 24 08:01 /lib/libgpm.so.1.19.0
48
49 IMO, finding a binary in /bin or /sbin that links to a library in /usr
50 (including /usr/local etc.) is probably grounds for a bug report, even if
51 it's not currently causing any problems.
52
53 > So you
54 > have to be careful. One of the best things you can do for yourself is
55 > install an all in one shell for maintenece like busybox or nash.
56
57 This is a good idea, even if none of your particular examples are
58 problematic. The crux of your argument is valid: some very useful
59 programs reside in /usr or use libraries in /usr so when trying to umount
60 it you must be prepared to do without those programs.
61
62 > lvm is not statically linked and can require libraries out of /usr/lib
63 > also.
64
65 lvm2 is static by default, but I have enabled the "nolvmstatic" USE flag.
66 This is in contrast to /other/ programs, like mdadm, which are just as
67 important but only statically linked is the "static" USE flag is on.
68
69 Why the developers decided this crazy behavior is acceptable is a mystery
70 to me. IMO, lvm2 should just be using the static use flag like all the
71 other packages.
74 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
75 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
76 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
77 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
78 --
79 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list