From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage wants to re-emerge old kernel sources
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 20:01:16
1 On Friday 23 February 2007 18:49:18 Grant wrote:
2 > > > How can I see which versions of hardened-sources portage thinks are
3 > > > currently installed?  I guess I should manually unmerge old sources as
4 > > > above instead of using rm -rf.
5 > >
6 > > Yes, you can:
7 > >
8 > > $ equery list --duplicates [<searchstring>]
9 > >
10 > > In your case <searchstring> should be 'sources'. Without <searchstring>
11 > > it looks for all duplicates, installed in so-called slots.
12 >
13 > It is true then that emerge --depclean never unmerges slotted packages?
14
15 Just how would portage know that an old slot is no longer needed? Just because
16 a newer version is installed doesn't mean it's been compiled or that the old
17 is no longer needed (you might need to compile some package against the old
18 that fails to compile against the new)...
19
20 For the more general case slot deps aren't allowed in the tree yet so it's not
21 all that easy to figure out which slots are in use. You do risk breaking your
22 system by pruning the wrong package..
23
24 Regardless, I do think app-portage/udept at least attempts to do this. I
25 haven't tried it so I can't say how reliable it is, though.
28 Bo Andresen