From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop - Switch video/audio output to HDMI?
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 04:01:38
1 On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 03:17:53PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I'm finally joining the 21st century having purchased my first new
4 > TV in more than 13 years. My laptop runs KDE with Nvidia drivers. I'm
5 > wondering what the process is to switch the audio & video output of my
6 > laptop the its HDMI port? I'd like to try using xine to play DVDs. I
7 > assume in Linux I'm going to have to mess with both Alsa and X which
8 > in the end sounds like a disaster waiting to happen but I figure I
9 > might as well see if it's actually easier than I think.
10 > […]
11 > Anyway, just looking for someone to point me in the right direction.
12
13 I am administrating the laptop of a friend of mine. She’s running KDE 4.4 on
14 Debian Squeeze with Intel graphics and an external monitor/TV. KDE can switch
15 audio to an external monitor by itself using System settings → Hardware →
16 Multimedia → Phonon. There, in the Device Priority tab, you’ll have to change
17 the order of items (i.e. put HDMI to the top) and then all programs that use
18 phonon route their sound to HDMI.
19
20 I *believe* that when the monitor is not present (after all, it’s a laptop),
21 the sound should automatically be routed to the next device in the list. But I
22 think that we had some problems in that regard. But then again, she’s running
23 an outdated KDE.
24 --
25 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
26 I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.
27
28 Die schwierigste Turnübung ist, sich selbst auf den Arm zu nehmen.