From: Justin R Findlay <justin@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with X and xfce in Gentoo.
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 03:24:36
1 On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 02:39:48AM +0000, Josh S wrote:
2 > Hey everyone,
3 >
4 > when I load up gentoo it loads up a basic console login and when I try to
5 > startx it loads up a really basic X interface with two terminals and a
6 > analog looking clock. When I try to use xfce-session it loads up xfce but
7 > things are out of place and it looks more like a basic X session.
8
9 It sounds like you're getting a TWM session. More savvy (and helpful)
10 list members would point you to a helpful wiki page or something, but
11 there are a couple of ways to do what you need. Which is the 'official'
12 way or the gentoo-sanctioned way I don't quite know.
13
14 First you can have an ~/.xinitrc or an ~/.xsession file which are
15 semantically equivalent. Here's a sample ~/.xsession (or ~/.xinitrc)
16
17 # load XFCE
18 xfce &
19
20 You can also modify your /etc/rc.conf file:
21
22 XSESSION="xfce"
23
24 Another way to select which Xsession to run is to define the XSESSION
25 enviornment variable in your ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile
26
27 export XSESION=xfce
30 Justin
31 --