From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Experiences with Flatpak?
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 09:04:38
1 On Friday, January 25, 2019 8:40:32 PM CET Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 1:17 PM Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On 25/01/2019 20:48, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 > > > But, flatpak isn't in the standard portage tree, so you have to use an
5 > > > overlay or local repo.
6 > > >
7 > > > This is beginning to look like a lot of work.
8 > > >
9 > > > Is it practical to use flatpak apps on Gentoo?
10 > >
11 > > I was using it for a while. Not anymore.
12 > >
13 > > It does exactly what it says on the box. However, GUI applications
14 > > installed in flatpak will completely ignore your desktop settings.
15 > > flatpak comes with its own gtk/qt/gnome/kde libraries and its own
16 > > completely separate settings for the desktop environment.
17 > >
18 > > This is why I'm not using it anymore. GUI apps look like ass.
19 >
20 > That's weird; they look fine for me [1,2]. As yo say, they have different
21 > configurations (every application runs in an individual container), but the
22 > both look normal.
23 >
24 > Regards.
25 >
26 > [1] https://aztlan.fciencias.unam.mx/~canek/inkscape-gentoo.jpg
27 > [2] https://aztlan.fciencias.unam.mx/~canek/inkscape-flatpak.jpg
28
29 Disclaimer: Not using Flatpak, so below is only a guess.
30
31 I don't think Flatpak copies/uses any theme-settings of the underlying
32 desktop, but applies the default. If the user has the default settings, it
33 looks fine. If the user doesn't, than it can look like the 90s. (Depending on
34 the amount of 'customization')
37 Joost