From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Nvidia and Radeon video cards in the same box.
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 16:55:50
1 Linux <linuxgn2 <at> 204EastSouth.com> writes:
4 > One card died and I replaced it with a Radeon video card. Can I still
5 > span X across the two monitors? Does the make/model of the cards matter
6 > at all?
7
8 OK, from what I've read this does work, but requires specific configuration
9 in the kernel, in the xorg.conf and the target (DE) desktop environment to
10 work. Also there are several ways to achieve this multi-head system and the
11 final outcome is sometimes constrained by a variety of factors. No
12 doubt this will be a "project" for you.
13
14 > More information will be provided once I know this is possible.
15
16 Exact specification of the video cards, your DE, and which method you
17 choose will be needed to google for specific examples and receive help
18 from others.
19
20 > If the answer is yes, then my next step is figuring out why I can get
21 > either monitor to work alone, but can't get both of them to work together.
22
23 Yes, let's start with gentoo's page on this: [1]
24
25 Here are some additional links that, once you read them, you'll have
26 a basis and resources to cut snippets into a highly customized xorg.conf
27 file. [2]
28
29 Also, do you want one big virtual screen across the (2) monitors,
30 or do you want them to display form different applications? Also
31 do you want a second keyboard and mouse so it can also be used
32 like a second workstation at times? I saw a few sites that talk
33 about how to switch between modes. So define exactly what you want
34 to do and verbosely list your hardware. Then google for specific
35 code snippets and cobble together your xorg.conf. Then we can
36 hack away at that, based on any additional features that your
37 chosend (DE) provides (features or management of hardware).
38
39 Last, folks are raving about multihead monitor support with LXQT
40 which used QT5, but that all seems to be very news.
41
42 Once you figure this out, give some feedback to the gentoo docs
43 team to enhance [1]. BGO would be keen for new information
44 on multi headed options.
45
46 hth,
47 James