From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: default stage3 (was : [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:26:29
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > well, it was made, because the idiots are too dumb to read and follow the
3 > stage1 instructions.
4 >
5 > And gentoo needs more idiots, right?
6 >
7 > Up until now, the installation was a nice filter - but that has weakend now,
8 > too.
9
10 The last top posting/html thread was 3 weeks ago... so yes it's time
11 for another "Keep Gentoo leet" thread. Gentoo isn't about pain, it's
12 about getting work done. Anything, and I mean *anything*, that allows me
13 to spend less time working and more time having a life is a good thing.
14 Therefore we can deduce that anyone who wants a harder install is a
15 hobbyist, dilettante, and a dabbler.
16
17 Which is a conclusion just as logical as easier installs bring idiots.
18
19 I so am tired of this argument that I'm not even going to call anyone a
20 chowderhead this time around. Look at the history/life cycle of any
21 industry or technology. Gentoo is on track to leave the Innovation
22 phase, assuming a few tech problems get fully worked out, and enter the
23 Early Adopter phase. Or maybe the Early Majority phase... you could
24 probably make a case for either.
25
26 http://marketingsage.net/W2W_Market_Stages.htm
27
28 Yeah it's marketing speak which doesn't exactly match a project like
29 Gentoo so well, but it's close enough. So rather than keeping out idiots
30 we're keeping out the "Early Adopters adopt new ideas early, but
31 carefully. They seek breakthrough advantages. They can be respected
32 opinion leaders. They will invest in creating a complete solution so
33 they may need lots of support." Translate that into "they're willing to
34 deal with crappy processes to get the advantages and work to improve the
35 shortcomings."
36
37 I'll take that sort of idiot any day of the week.
38
39 kashani
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list