From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:55:44
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I recently got a new Dell "desktop PC" at home, and ran Windows for a
3 > while to make sure nothing is broken. Now I'm getting ready to
4 > partition and reformat for a Gentoo install. My understanding is that
5 > BTRFS and EXT4 are still a bit "bleeding edge". I've used ReiserFS3 for
6 > years with no problems, but I keep hearing horror stories about it.
7 > This will be my biggest main hard drive yet (1 terabyte), so I'm
8 > considering EXT3 for the main partition. Comments?
11 I use ext4 on about everything here. I have used ext3 a lot in the past
12 but also have used reiserfs too with no problem back then. It seems
13 reiserfs may not be getting as much TLC as it used to so when I built my
14 new rig, I went to ext4. That was about 2 years or so ago. When it
15 does fsck during boot up, it is really fast. Also, almost zero
16 fragmentation. It comes with a defrag tool but not sure why they
17 bothered really. I have a 3Tb drive using LVM and never a problem here
18 with ext4. I also have a 750Gb and a few smaller drives too.
19 Everything but / and /boot is on LVM.
20
21 root@fireball / # mount
22 rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
23 /dev/sda6 on / type ext4 (rw,commit=0)
24 << snip needless stuff >>
25 /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
26 /dev/mapper/OS-usr on /usr type ext4 (rw,commit=0)
27 /dev/mapper/OS-var on /var type ext4 (rw,commit=0)
28 /dev/mapper/home-home on /home type ext4 (rw,commit=0)
29 /dev/mapper/backup-backup on /backup type ext4 (rw,commit=0)
30 tmpfs on /var/tmp/portage type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
31 binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
32 (rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid)
33 root@fireball / #
34
35 While ext3 is good, I'd at least think about ext4.
36
37 Dale
38
42 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!