From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo + wifi
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 08:24:17
1 On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 22:41:44 -0500, Matt Connell (Gmail) wrote:
2
3 > However, USB wifi adapters are quite affordable and sufficient for your
4 > use case, in my opinion.
5
6 There are also PCI wifi cards, which would be neater on a desktop. Both
7 are very cheap, but check what chipset a card uses before buying. Some
8 need third party modules. I prefer Intel-based ones, they "just work".
11 > > whether I would need to add any packages to my Gentoo system.
12 >
13 > Yes, you will. You'll need to find out what chipset is used by the
14 > adapter you want to add (or already have). Once you have that, you can
15 > enable the appropriate kernel drivers and rebuild, and then you'll need
16 > to install net-wireless/wpa_supplicant to make the actual connection.
17 >
18 > wpa_supplicant can be cumbersome to set up by hand, but the Arch wiki
19 > has a very comprehensive page[1] on how to configure it.
20 > Alternatively, there are GUI tools for managing the configuration (the
21 > aptly named wpa_gui is usually enough; to get this, you need to enable
22 > the qt5 use flag for wpa_supplicant), but if you're connecting to one
23 > network, and never changing the configuration, that might be overkill.
24
25 There's nothing to stop you installing with the qt5 flag, setting up and
26 then removing the flag, although you won't save much if you have other Qt
27 apps installed.
28
29 Setting up wifi for the first time can be a bit trial and error, so you
30 will need a wired connection as a fallback to search for help or download
31 software. If possible, get wifi working before you move, most phones have
32 an option to act as a wireless access point, or hotspot, so you could use
33 that to make sure your wireless hardware and software is working before
34 you move. Then you only need to plug in the authentication details at the
35 new location and all should be well.
39 Neil Bothwick
40
41 Don't judge a book by its movie.