From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] local mirrors
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 07:49:10
1 On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 07:32:50 +0200, n952162@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > Thank you for the explanation. I wonder what the local mirror page
4 > means when it talks about saving bandwidth. What *does* it serve if
5 > not the distfiles? And when /etc/portage/repos.conf points to my local
6 > server, why would portage disregard that?
7
8 It is referring to a portage mirror, the repository of ebuild and
9 associated files, not the source files of the software being installed.
10
11 As well as the suggestions from Rich and Dale, you can also use a shared
12 directory - I use NFS for this but I see no reason why CIFS wouldn't also
13 work - for $DISTDIR. This is set in make.conf and tells portage where to
14 save downloaded files. As portage checks to see if the file is already
15 there before downloading it, only the first system to need it will
16 download it, the rest will use the existing copy.
17
18 Just set up an NFS export on the host computer and mount that on the
19 others, then change make.conf to use that location.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 Top Oxymorons Number 42: Airline Food