From: Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] a day of PAIN.
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 17:50:49
1 > On 2020-05-12, at 18:45, Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Why is this not a forced-on setting for any machine with UEFI enabled? I
4 > can't imagine that this would be unacceptable for more than 0.001% of
5 > the install base.
6
7 Because not every user has UEFI and many just use the BIOS compatibility layer (CSM) if they don't care about UEFI and Secure Boot. The CSM is going to be there for a very long time.
8
9 If you don't need UEFI features, then there's nothing really wrong with using CSM. I am using UEFI because I like having a signed kernel and signed boot loader (systemd-boot).
12 Andrew