From: billyd <billydw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No longer getting elog messages - Please cancel for now
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:59:39
1 > Well, quite a few people *did* have elog issues recently here.
2 >
3 > I suppose you can be forgiven for making a perfectly reasonable assumption,
4 > even if it was wrong in the end :-)
5
6 Thanks again, Alan,
7
8 I've been working with Gentoo for nearly 6 years now and try to resolve all my
9 issues without asking for help. I still consider myself a newbie. I feel I
10 learn more by researching the issue. In fact, I think I only posted to the
11 lists one time 4 to 5 years ago.
12
13 Being a retired investigator, I know I must consider all the evidence even if
14 it proves my initial theory was wrong. Here, the fact that no one else was
15 reporting the same issue ( similar, yes, but not the same) led me to consider
16 that I may not really have a problem, or that I may have somehow introduced
17 the problem myself. I knew that was unlike simply because I had not make any
18 changes on my system. For me, 2 weeks of -uNDv world and no entries in elog/
19 seemed unusual. I did check for duplicate entries in /var/log/portage. Like
20 you said, they were not identical - one was a summary and the other the
21 complete log.
22
23 Don't know why I didn't think to do my test with the nvidia-drivers or some
24 other package I know always puts a .log file in elog/ earlier.
25
26 I think I will unmask portage as you suggest and give it a try. That is why I
27 have 3 Gentoo installs. I try to keep one clear of problems and use it to
28 sync off the Gentoo mirrors. I sync the other 2 installs off the first one to
29 save bandwith all around. I use them to work out issues or try new things.
30
31 Your help, insight, suggestions are much appreciated.
32
33 billyd