From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] congruant gentoo servers
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 18:10:18
1 On Friday 27 June 2008, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I need to deploy a (gentoo) server, on an isolated, remote network,
5 > with just a few custom applications. However, to periodically
6 > update the gentoo distro, I want to build a second (congruent)
7 > system, that can be physically swapped for update, or in the
8 > event of failure (brain-dead, I know but for now, that's a
9 > hard constraint).
12 > So I have system with identical mother boards, cpus and the same
13 > amount of ram. The size of the drives differs, but, that should not
14 > be a problem.
15 >
16 > Where to start?
17 > The both have the same profile:
18 > [9] default/linux/x86/2008.0 *
21 > The both have the same kernel/options:
22 > 2.6.24-gentoo-r8
23 >
24 > The world files are different. One is mimimal and very close
25 > to what I want, the other needs many packages removed.
26 >
27 > Likewise the one system has a minimal make.conf file, which
28 > I like, the other is quite bloated over the years.
31 > So before I go any further, should I just set about pruning the
32 > bloated system down to match the minimal system, or go for a new
33 > install.
34
35 Pruning a fat system can be very time consuming. I'd rather clone the
36 minimalistic one.
39 > Also what else would I check and modify to ensure the systems are
40 > as close to congruent as possbile?
41 >
42 > rc-status?
43 >
44 > installed packages?
47 > file by file in /etc?
50 > Any tools or suggestions to help in this effort are much welcome.
51 >
52 > Should I just "dd" one (minmalistic) drive contents to the
53 > other?
54
55 I'd rather tar the whole small system up and install this tarball on
56 the other one (after adjusting partitioning, creating filesystems and
57 such).
58
59 Uwe
62 Ignorance killed the cat, sir, curiosity was framed!
63 --
64 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list