From: "G.Wolfe Woodbury" <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2 and is the upgrade a tooth puller.
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 14:18:56
1 On 06/30/2012 05:50 AM, Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > Thanks. Now more questions. I have read about this a few times but
4 > never quite figured it out. I copy the bzImage and name it bzImage-*
5 > because that is what it is named when I type make etc to build a
6 > kernel. Is there a difference between bzImage and vmlinux? If it is,
7 > is it safe to rename it like that or will it break something? If I need
8 > a vmlinux kernel instead of a bzImage, where is that thing? I have
9 > looked and I don't have one on mine here. Maybe I am missing
10 > something. Google didn't find me anything either.
11 >
12 As someone else said, the spelling. For grub-mkconfig to recognize it
13 as a kernel
14 the default names should begin with "vmlinuz-" or "kernel-"
15 For my gentoo disk, I rename the bzImage to gentoo.<XYZ> where the XYZ
16 is the kernel
17 version number. I hand mung the grub.cfg (still legacy grub) in the
18 usual fashion.
19 I will probably migrate to grub2 pretty quick next time I play with the
20 gentoo install.
21
22 Grub2 grub-mkconfig os-prober method recognizes grub legacy configs and
23 builds proper
24 menuentry stanzas as needed.
25
26 I'm using multiple discs for booting my system. The first drive (BIOS
27 default) is a Win7 native,
28 but I use the BIOS "boot menu" options to usually boot grub2 from
29 another drive. This drive's grub.cfg
30 contains all of my linux installations, which are spread around 4
31 different drives.
34 G.Wolfe Woodbury (redwolfe@×××××.com)