From: Mike Diehl <mdiehl@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recovering RAID1 after disk failure
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:08:51
1 I've got my drive partitioned, but I WILL read up on sfdisk. Thanks for the
2 pointer.
3
4 On Friday 17 June 2011 12:27:15 am Andrea Conti wrote:
5 > Hello,
6 >
7 > > However, the good drive started on sector 63 and the new drive want's to
8 > > start on sector 2048. Fdisk won't let me create the partition table on
9 > > the new drive as it is on the old drive.
10 >
11 > Recent versions of fdisk require partitions to begin on a 1MB boundary;
12 > this among other things guarantees that there are no alignment issues
13 > with 4k-sector drives.
14 >
15 > If you really need to use fdisk for this task you can start it in
16 > compatibility mode (i.e. "fdisk -c=dos").
17 >
18 > The recommended way of preparing the new drive, though, is to simply use
19 > sfdisk to copy the partition table from the existing one:
20 >
21 > sfdisk -d <old drive> | sfdisk -L <new drive>
22 >
23 > andrea
27 Take care and have fun,
28 Mike Diehl.