From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Keyboard is dead after emerge-update
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 16:23:56
1 On Monday, March 21, 2016 01:08:19 PM Francisco Ares wrote:
2 > 2016-03-21 11:52 GMT-03:00 Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net>:
3 > > Anyone who boots directly to X'doze without first going through a safe
4 > > console login is a raging mad lunatic who needs his head examined. This
5 > > is linux we are talking about. It's crap. It always has been crap, and
6 > > it always will be crap. Never ever ever trust it. I leave my computer on
7 > > continuously because booting it is such a risk. Every single time I load
8 > > X'doze and find that my keyboard and mouse are working I ghasp with
9 > > surprise. The linux developers, or the penguins as I like to call them
10 > > are so smug on the sublime superiority of the open source approach that
11 > > they never bother to design essential things such as fail-safe design,
12 > > fallback drivers, stable apis so that it doesn't just die if it's not
13 > > compiled against this specific point release. ... You know, the kind of
14 > > things that any competent programmer would think about. =|
15 > >
16 > > Bertram Scharpf wrote:
17 > > > Hi,
18 > > >
19 > > > since an emerge-update-world on my notebook the keyboard
20 > > > does no longer respond in X. This is extremely annoying
21 > > > because when I have xdm in rc-update, X is started right at
22 > > > boot. I have no chance to get back to the console using
23 > > > Ctrl-Alt-F1, and the device in unusable.
24 > > >
25 > > > Yet, this is only a problem of the boot process. At home,
26 > > > when I ssh into the system, I can do an
27 > > >
28 > > > # /etc/init.d/xdm restart
29 > > >
30 > > > and from that point on the keyboard works. It is even
31 > > > possible to disable xdm in rc-update and start it after the
32 > > > boot process has completed. I solved the problem temporarily
33 > > > this way, but the problem probably is a bug and should be
34 > > > reported.
35 > > >
36 > > > So I have a closer look. When I diff "Xorg.0.log" and
37 > > > "Xorg.0.log.old" (after removing the time stamps) I find one
38 > > > line that doesn't appear in the log of the working X.
39 > > >
40 > > > (EE) kbd: Keyboard0: failed to set us as foreground pgrp
41 > >
42 > > (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
43 > >
44 > > > What does this mean? I estimate that "us" is the personal
45 > > > pronoun and not a keyboard layout, and that the server tries
46 > > > to do some chgrp on some /dev/*. I have no clue what to try
47 > > > next.
48 > > >
49 > > > Thanks in advance.
50 > >
51 > > --
52 > > IQ is a measure of how stupid you feel.
53 > >
54 > > Powers are not rights.
55 >
56 > ... or you may provide checking points, like a script to run all "emerge
57 > world" processes automatically,
58 >
59 > Open source and Linux' software begins with the premisse you know what you
60 > are doing, as if you issue a "rm -fR /" you will get exactly what you have
61 > asked for, a dead system, no "are you sure?" questions will ring.
62 >
63 > Those "craps" made me learn a lot!
64
65 Me and a friend did that once to a system that needed reinstalling anyway.
66 It doesn't actually wipe everything off the disk and processes in memory are
67 likely to keep running.
68
69 If we'd been running a shell with a lot of built-in functionality or a decent
70 editor, we might have been able to restore some of the functionality :)
73 Joost