From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] processor speed
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 03:09:19
1 On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 12:07 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 5:22 PM, wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> I'm using an AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor. I bought it six or seven
5 >>> years ago when it was brand-new. It still works to my satisfaction. But
6 >>> of course recent CPUs (for example AMD Ryzen) are much faster. Therefore
7 >>> I wanna buy an AMD Threadripper next year. This should be an enormous
8 >>> speedup. :-)
9 >>>
10 >> Having just upgraded one of those to a Ryzen 5 1600 I can tell you
11 >> that besides tripling your kernel build speeds, it will also sound
12 >> less like a hair dryer and make your room feel less like it has a
13 >> space heater inside.
16 > My old rig, AMD 2500+ CPU with about 3 or 4GBs of ram. My new rig, AMD
17 > Phenom II X4 955 with 16GBs of ram. My old rig, pulled about 400 watts
18 > from the wall, while idle. My new rig, pulls about 160 watts idle and
19 > that includes monitor, router and all. I don't think my little speakers
20 > are plugged into the UPS. Thing is, my new rig according to my math is
21 > almost 10 times as fast. It has a lot more ram and more drives than the
22 > old rig.
23 >
24 > More to your point, my old rig used 80mm fans. It had lots of them.
25 > CPU, several on the case including some I added myself. It made some
26 > noise for sure. My new case is a Cooler Master HAF-932. It has those
27 > 200mm fans which move a lot of air but turn pretty slowly, which means
28 > quiet. Thing is, the newer and faster rig runs cooler, quieter and
29 > faster than the old rig by far.
30 >
31 > Isn't it amazing how efficient and fast newer computers are? It's
32 > almost worth the energy saving to upgrade. If a person runs their
33 > system 24/7, that is even more reason.
36 It's something I used to bring up in #gentoo when people would come in
37 and ask or complain about compilation times. The amortization period
38 for computers is generally 3 years. If you use them longer, you are
39 (in theory) losing money relative to your competitors.
40
41 As a home user, your time and energy budgets might not be so tight,
42 but the lack of stress is worth a nice desktop for compiling your
43 software.
44
45 > Dale
46 >