From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Call for opinions and/or use cases regarding games.eclass
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 22:31:10
1 On 07/01/2016 12:34 PM, Terry Z. wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 4:27 AM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o
3 > <mailto:zlg@g.o>> wrote:
4 >
5 > Most of us know about the games.eclass history. Let's put that aside;
6 > I'm looking for user consensus on packages that use(d) games.eclass.
7 >
8 > 1. Do you take advantage of games.eclass features, including restricting
9 > game access to a given group and installing games outside of /usr and/or
10 > on different media?
13 > I like the game group feature. On a multiuser system it makes it fairly
14 > simplistic to ensure access goes to whom I want to have access to those
15 > games. It also behaves similarly to other services which allow non root
16 > users to run things based on their group membership.
17 >
18 > I do not really care much about the ability to install outside of /usr,
19 > but I can see that being very useful. Of course, a symlink can provide
20 > this same feature.
21
22 Could you share a little more about your use case? You mentioned
23 multi-user and restricting based on group membership. Do you have
24 children that you don't want playing specific games, is this a work
25 environment?
26
27 The more information, the merrier. With the removal of games.eclass,
28 this case is going away, so if I or others can learn more about your use
29 case, we might be able to help you figure out how to better meet that
30 use case, or begin drafting features and/or documentation to make this
31 possible again.
32
33 > 2. If yes, how do you feel about the removal of the eclass? Did you rely
34 > on its functionality? Does your use case require it?
37 > I have very few personal ebuilds that take advantage of much of the
38 > features other than the group reqs etc. Still, I see the value in them.
39 >
40 Which features are your personal ebuilds using? Could you supply a
41 snippet or even a paste somewhere that shows what you're doing?
42
43 > 3. If yes, _what is your use case_? Which features are important to your
44 > use case wrt games and what can Gentoo do to improve that.
47 > I make use of the games group in my personal ebuilds. I find some of
48 > the other features provided in games.eclass potentially useful, but do
49 > not make immediate needs of them.
52 > We cannot make concrete decisions without concrete evidence, so please
53 > answer and speak for your use case. This will serve as a public record
54 > of interest, and might even inspire a few people. :)
55 >
56 > Thanks for your time,
57 >
58 > ~zlg
59 > --
60 > Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
61 > OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net <http://keys.gnupg.net>
62 > fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6
63 > --
64 > The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
65 > system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world.
66 > -- seen on the net
67
68 Thanks again for supplying information to help form an accurate view of
69 things.
73 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
74 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
75 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6