From: Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] OT: how do I kick a MAC address off my hostapd WiFi network?
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 00:05:45
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > I was wondering what would happen if someone downloaded some music
3 > illegally or some child porn? How would you prove it was them and not
4 > you? Being a good neighbor is nice but you need to be
5 > careful for sure.
6
7 Dunno. I suppose I'd show some logs from the DHCPd server or HostAPd or
8 something that showed the MAC addresses used at that particular time of the
9 infraction?
10
11 How do Coffee shops handle that? They have open WiFi -- many of them (here
12 in Seattle at least), you can just jump on from anywhere. Hell there are
13 about 12 WAP right here in my building that I can see and several are not
14 WEP or WPA. When our network goes down, sometimes I just jump on them. :)
15
16 Besides, most sites that actually LET you download these days require some
17 sort of login anyways. So that hypothetical person in your scenario would
18 have that on their computer, whereas I would not. ;-p
19
20 I don't really think about it too much.
21
22 I've thought about setting up a "hotel page" type system, but it's just one
23 more thing I don't have time to futz with. If push came to shove, I'd just
24 start blacklisting ALL MAC's (or I should say whitelisting *my* MACs
25 actually).
26
27 I'd really like to be part of a mesh, but where I live I'm in the middle of
28 suburbia.
29
30 D.Vin
31 http://daevid.com