From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:35:17
1 On 01/02/2012 11:22 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm not clear. You allow your server customers to modify your servers,
4 > or what, they asked you to install stuff and now you don't know which
5 > of them was needed and why? I'm just not clear.
6
7 They ask us to install stuff, and now we don't know which ones are needed.
10 > My basic response, again allowing that I don't run servers that have
11 > 'customers' on them, is that 'equery depends' is the basic path to
12 > determine if any of these are dependencies of other things in the
13 > world file. If they are then they themselves possibly don't need to be
14 > in the world file unless they meet my rule #2 as they are required for
15 > some sort of development work your customer does.
16 >
17 > I completely agree about travel time. My family lives 350 miles away.
18 > I've managed their machines for 10 years this way and only once had a
19 > problem that required me to get physical access. In the normal worst
20 > case I have a Live CD with a couple of instructions they can execute
21 > to get me back into the machine.
22
23 Well, travel time sucks too, but I was referring to time travel via e.g.
24 a time machine, in case some wise guy tried to answer "well you
25 shouldn't have done that." =)