From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Syncing Directories between 2 Linux boxes
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 13:39:02
1 quoth the Timothy A. Holmes:
2 > Hi folks:
3
4 > Our school website is hosted on our webserver (192.168.0.29) in
5 > /var/www/mca0506/htdocs the site is created with Macromedia Dreamweaver (I
6 > know I know....) and the teachers edit it using Macromedia Contribute.
7 > This is important because, Dreamweaver makes changes to my local files
8 > (which are on 192.168.0.4/data/website/mca0506) and Contribute makes its
9 > changes directly on the live site on the main webserver. What I need is a
10 > way to sync the two bi-directionally. As I create pages etc, those changes
11 > would need to go up to the site, and as the teachers update their sites
12 > etc, those changes would need to be synced back to my local files, both so
13 > that I can
14
15 Did you have more to add there? Anyway, my first thought is to use rsync, the
16 same tool that syncs your local and the main portage tree. The problem is the
17 bidirectionality of it. If there is a certain time of day that the teachers
18 are doing their thing, then you could sync your copy after (or before) the
19 time of day you know they will be working. If you need real-time updates this
20 may not work.
21
22 A better solution may be to either mount your copy or the master server's copy
23 with NFS. That way, you will all be operating on the same files...but they
24 will appear local to all concerned.
25
26 If you are doing some testing/development on your copies that you don't want
27 on the live server then this may not be suitable...
28
29 -d
30 --
31 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
32 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
33 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list