From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pdf viewing suggestions?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 18:06:09
1 On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 01:01:37AM +0900, daid kahl wrote:
2 > I've tried xpdf, epdfview, evince, kpdf, and acroread.
3
4 > I want something fast for big files, prints well, and has an interface that
5 > doesn't remind me of pure and natural X. I don't mind the little page
6 > overview as a side-tool, but I don't strictly require it.
7
8 Speedwise I don't think epdfview/evince/kpdf will be all that much
9 different. They are all based on the poppler framework just with
10 different frontends. Poppler is, in turn, based on the xpdf rendering
11 parts.
12
13 Acroread is, well acroread, and I try to avoid it whenever I can.
14
15 > evince will take an arbitrarily long time to print documents that are long
16 > or have big figures.
17
18 That's odd. I use evince at work (though not on gentoo; work computer
19 is a heavily customized version of scientific linux) and I don't have
20 the printing problem. If it weren't for the Gnome dependencies that I
21 don't want on my laptop, I'd also use evince at home. (Hum, just
22 checked it out again now, and it looks like the dependency list is
23 shorter than I remembered it being?)
24
25 > The interface for xpdf is pretty lame (especially default printing), but
26 > it's quick as demons chasing bats out of hell.
27
28 But it works. It is my pdf viewer of choice at home.
29
30 One thing I am waiting to see is epdf from the enlightenment
31 libraries. It is still masked, and is in the enlightenment overlay.
32 In the sunrise overlay there is a program called apvlv. I have never
33 tried it myself, but the codebase is small and it has a UI based on
34 the VIM UI (for better or for worse).
35
36 You probably know this already, but gv doesn't work too well a lot of
37 times.
38
39 Unfortunately there aren't that many pdf viewing softwares to choose from.
40
41 Cheers,
42
43 W
46 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
47 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
48 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton