From: Marco Rebhan <me@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice sought on the use of a VCS (specifically git) to keep track of my Softscroll patch.
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 19:19:30
1 On Friday, 24 September 2021 19:47:24 CEST Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > I may
3 > not be doing a lot of rebasing, since I'm creating patches for already
4 > released versions rather than keeping up to date with the head of the
5 > master branch.
6
7 It works the same way there: take the current branch which is some
8 commit of Linux with your patch applied, and rebase your changes onto
9 whichever release you want to target (might need to use git rebase --
10 onto).
11
12 > I don't envisage any upstream accepting my patch. The powers that be
13 > were adamant that the soft scrolling be removed from the official
14 > kernel, ostensibly due to security reasons. I may get around to
15 > posting the patch on the Gentoo wiki, but for now it'll just be on
16 > the mailing list, plus to any individual Linux user who asks for a
17 > copy.
18
19 I was more thinking about other people pulling from your repo, in which
20 case repeated force pushes would cause issues when they try to pull. I
21 wasn't sure if you wanted to actually have the repo public or if this
22 was just to make updating for you easier.
23
24 > > I hope this helps :P
25 >
26 > It did indeed. Thanks!