From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No sound. Please, help!
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 16:40:51
1 чт, 14 июл. 2022 г. в 10:53, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>:
2 >
3 > On Thursday, 14 July 2022 07:19:14 BST gevisz wrote:
4 > > пт, 11 мар. 2022 г. в 20:15, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
5 > > > пн, 19 окт. 2020 г. в 00:15, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
6 > > > > вс, 18 окт. 2020 г. в 21:15, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
7 > > > > > gevisz wrote:
8 > > > > > > вс, 18 окт. 2020 г. в 17:20, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
9 > > > > > >> gevisz wrote:
10 > > > > > >>> No sound at least in Firefox. Tried it on youtube. Skype is
11 > > > > > >>> currently
12 > > > > > >>> uninstalled. So, I cannot check using it.
13 > > > > > >>
14 > > > > > >> Just a thought. Are you sure that everything is unmuted? Years
15 > > > > > >> ago,
16 > > > > > >> all the sound control software, Kmix, alsa and others, default to
17 > > > > > >> mute.
18 > > > > > >> If just one of them is muted, no sound. I seem to recall when I
19 > > > > > >> did my
20 > > > > > >> install on this rig that I had to unmute the sound in three places,
21 > > > > > >> Kmix, alsa and one other that I can't recall the name of. I think
22 > > > > > >> I had
23 > > > > > >> to turn up the volume on alsa as it was set to a really low level
24 > > > > > >> once
25 > > > > > >> it was unmuted. Usually, I turn all of them to the max except the
26 > > > > > >> one I
27 > > > > > >> mainly use. In my case, Kmix is the one I use to really control
28 > > > > > >> things
29 > > > > > >> since it sits on the panel thingy. The others are set at the max.
30 > > > > > >>
31 > > > > > >> It's a silly thing but thought it worth a mention just in case
32 > > > > > >> there is
33 > > > > > >> a muted setting somewhere.
34 > > > > > >
35 > > > > > > Thank you for your input. Yes, it seems that something is muted but
36 > > > > > > what?
37 > > > > > > I have no KDE and no kmix installed. No pulseaudio.
38 > > > > >
39 > > > > > Type in alsamixer in a console or whatever you use and hit tab twice.
40 > > > > > I
41 > > > > > suspect you have that installed. You should have a text version, like
42 > > > > > a
43 > > > > > console uses, and a gui version, that should work in any DM. Pick
44 > > > > > your
45 > > > > > poison and see if anything there is muted or the volume is set really
46 > > > > > low, like 1 out of 100 or something. I think hitting the "m" key
47 > > > > > toggles the mute.
48 > > > >
49 > > > > I am sorry to confess that I forgot that I should use M to unmute
50 > > > > a channel in alsamixer (as I did about 14 years ago) and thought
51 > > > > that arrows up and down do all the work. :(
52 > > > >
53 > > > > So, now the problem has been solved.
54 > > >
55 > > > Last time I have ended the discussion on my
56 > > > "no sound" problem acknowledging that I was
57 > > > so stupid that "forgot that I should use M to
58 > > > unmute a channel in alsamixer."
59 > > >
60 > > > However, it turned out that it was not the case:
61 > > > currently I have all channels in alsamixer unmuted
62 > > > and have sound only in about 1 from 10 bootings of
63 > > > my Gentoo system, while I do always have sound
64 > > > on the same computer while I boot it with Ubuntu 20.04.
65 > > >
66 > > > I have also compared the output of lsmod command
67 > > > on both systems and found out that my Gentoo system
68 > > > had all sound kernel modules that my Ubuntu system has
69 > > > and even more. (In Gentoo, I still have quite an old 5.4.97
70 > > > kernel, but I do not think that it is the cause of my
71 > > > "no sound" problem.)
72 > > >
73 > > > Of course, it is completely my responsibility that
74 > > > I have built my Gentoo system in such a way that
75 > > > I never know if I will have sound after its next boot.
76 > > > However I am lost guessing what I did wrong.
77 > > > (Comparing with Ubuntu 20.04, my Gentoo system
78 > > > has no systemd and no pulseaudio, no consolekit,
79 > > > and no policykit.)
80 > > >
81 > > > I leave this just for history, as I am currently
82 > > > in a war zone and so investigating this problem
83 > > > further is not in my priority list. :(
84 > >
85 > > I have accidentally found that the problem with
86 > > absence of sound on my Gentoo box appears
87 > > only when my USB Logitech webcam is connected
88 > > to the computer during the boot time.
89 > >
90 > > Moreover, if it happens and the sound is absent,
91 > > the alsamixer shows that my USB Logitech webcam
92 > > is considered by the system as a default sound device.
93 > >
94 > > So, it tries to send sound there even though it does
95 > > not have any speaker.
96 >
97 > I'll blame some relatively recent change in the kernel
98 > or some interaction with udev.
99
100 Yes, it is quite probable that udev, evdev or the like
101 is responsible for the problem.