From: Ralph Seichter <abbot@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] aggregate logs into Elasticsearch
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2020 15:58:05
1 * Stefan G. Weichinger:
2
3 > My goal:
4 >
5 > collect logs of postfix, nginx into the docker-containers running ES,
6 > Kibana .. and learn my way from there.
7
8 If you are not dead-set on Elasticsearch et al, I propose considering
9 MongoDB as an alternative.
10
11 There are syslog Modules that allow logging into MongoDB directly. On
12 the DB side, collections (roughly equivalent to tables in relational
13 databases) can be limited by size or by age, meaning that removing older
14 data will happen automatically if you so wish.
15
16 MongoDB also makes it easy to add data from sources with different data
17 makeup to shared collections, because there is no rigid table structure.
18
19 For analysis, MongoDB includes its own Aggregation Framework[1], which
20 is a very powerful and versatile. While probably not relevant to your
21 needs right now, It even comes with built-in geolocation search
22
23 [1] https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/core/aggregation-pipeline/
24
25 I think very highly of MongoDB and encourage you to look into it as a
26 possibility and as an interesing technical concept.
27
28 -Ralph