From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: looking for email provider
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 22:36:31
1 On Sat, 2020-02-01 at 17:08 -0500, Jack wrote:
2 +AD4- CAUTION: This is an EXTERNAL email. Do not click links or open
3 +AD4- attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is
4 +AD4- safe.
5 +AD4-
6 +AD4- Relying on the collective experience and advice of the group here.
7 +AD4-
8 +AD4- As may be obvious to many of you, the address this message is sent
9 +AD4- from
10 +AD4- +ACI-...+AEA-users.sourceforge.net+ACI- isn't really a fully functional address.
11 +AD4- Email sent to that address will be forwarded by the sourceforge
12 +AD4- system
13 +AD4- to a personal address I specify. When I send a message +ACI-From: +ACI- that
14 +AD4- address, however, I cannot send it through the sourceforge system, as
15 +AD4- I
16 +AD4- don't actually have an email account with them. Currently, I send it
17 +AD4- through my gmail account. That works because I added that address in
18 +AD4- my gmail Settings under +ACI-Accounts and Import+ACI- / +ACI-Send mail as:+ACI-. To
19 +AD4- set it up, gmail sends a message to that address, and I click on a
20 +AD4- link
21 +AD4- in the message to prove it does come to me. That's been working find
22 +AD4- for a long time, but, ...
23 +AD4-
24 +AD4- I'm trying to move away from gmail. Especially for mailing lists
25 +AD4- like
26 +AD4- this one, if I send a message to the list, I never see that I get the
27 +AD4- message from the list, because gmail refuses to show it in my inbox
28 +AD4- because it's a duplicate of a message already in my sentbox.
29 +AD4-
30 +AD4- I do have an email account with privateemail.com (thorough
31 +AD4- namecheap.com) but they are unable or unwilling to have a similar
32 +AD4- setup. I'm not even sure they actually understand what I'm asking of
33 +AD4- them, but I've wasted more than enough time trying.
34 +AD4-
35 +AD4- So - I'm asking if anyone can recommend an email service provider
36 +AD4- that
37 +AD4- understands this and will let me set it up. I have my own domain,
38 +AD4- but
39 +AD4- namecheap.com does seem willing to have the appropriate DNS record
40 +AD4- point to a different email provider. At this point, I'm not
41 +AD4- interested
42 +AD4- in running my own email server. I currently only need two mailboxes,
43 +AD4- maybe a small number more in the future, but this is personal, not
44 +AD4- commercial. I don't need to do bulk emails, maybe up to a dozen or
45 +AD4- so
46 +AD4- recipients. I do NOT expect it to be free, but cost is at least some
47 +AD4- consideration. I don't need huge storage limits, as although I use
48 +AD4- IMAP access when on the road, when I'm home, I use POP3 to download
49 +AD4- everything. I'd also like at least minimal control over spam
50 +AD4- filtering, mainly to let almost anything through for me to filter
51 +AD4- locally. If privateemail.com has false positives for everything from
52 +AD4- some sender (such as ups.com, for example) I need to open a ticket
53 +AD4- with
54 +AD4- them to add a whitelist. No such thing as clicking on +ACI-Not spam+ACI- and
55 +AD4- apparently no intent to ever do so.
56 +AD4-
57 +AD4- Thanks for any suggestions.
58 +AD4-
59 +AD4- Jack
60
61 You might talk to your ISP. A number of them offer custom email
62 hosting to businesses and will maintain the server for you, but allow
63 you a rather customized configuration. So kind of like having your own
64 server along with someone to manage it for you.
65
66 If you do end up running your own system, look through your options
67 thoroughly. Sure you can set up just a simple email server, but there
68 are also projects like http://citadel.org/doku.php that offer more,
69 integrated features for an experience similar to gmail, but without the
70 spying.
71
72 LMP