From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 12:36:49
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, July 01, 2014 04:21:45 AM Dale wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I watched the dd process when I was erasing the old drive. I got about
5 >> the same results. It started out a little over 200 and went as low as
6 >> 170 or so close to the end. On average, about what hdparm shows. Close
7 >> enough it seems. ;-)
8 > Yep, but do the same after adding a filesystem to the mix?
9 > Eg. mount it somewhere, then dd to a file on that drive.
10 >
11 > --
12 > Joost
16 I've only ever use dd to blank a drive. I never used it to copy
17 anything. While dd may be a bit faster in my use, having a file system
18 is a more realistic use. I think a file system would slow things down a
19 bit, maybe not much since file systems are pretty fast nowadays. Thing
20 is, I'm fairly sure USB won't be as fast as a straight SATA connection.
21 That is one reason I would rather use SATA connections instead. That
22 was also the reason I posted that info. It shows that on my rig here, I
23 can likely copy faster than USB with a SATA connection. The speed I
24 posted is a good bit faster than what Helmut posted even tho his was a
25 general amount. Unless Helmut has a older, slower machine then I
26 wouldn't expect mine to be much if any faster than his. Basically, USB
27 would be a bottleneck that I might can avoid and my mobo supports eSATA
28 connections. .
29
30 I'm not trying to benchmark, just give a general idea. What hdparm
31 gives me is pretty close to what dd was giving and not to far off from
32 what I get when doing a copy with cp or rsync. I been doing a good bit
33 of copying here lately. I do have a drive that is the older SATA but
34 most are the newer and faster SATA.
35
36 Dale
37