From: microcai <microcai@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI specification
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 01:37:06
1 2011/11/12 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>:
2 > Here is a quick description of how Redmond
3 > intends to taint the bios on new products:
4 >
5 > http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-heavyweights-develop-secure-boot-strategy
8 > So,  recently I took a live-dvd-11.2 into Costco to check out a new
9 > HP laptop (DV7-6178US). It would not boot the DVD. How
10 > can I research if the UEFI bios is the issue? In the past the
11 > live gentoo dvds have booted up most every (new) laptop I have tested.
12 >
13 > Sure I can purchase the laptop, bring it home and hack on
14 > it, but, it would be much more straight forward if there
15 > was a list of UEFI infected computers somewhere. (any lists?)
16 >
17 > I do not want to waste my time on a laptop that has this
18 > MS tainted bios. Methods and ideas to flush this out, before
19 > purchase are most welcome? Is it possible that some windows 7
20 > laptops have the UEFI bios?
21
22 UEFI only boots 64bit OS.
23
24 32bit OS should be loaded via BIOS emulation mode.
25
26 So, if the pre-installed windows is 32bit. the UEFI must not be tainted.
29 > I usually prefer a dual boot laptop, with doz and gentoo, but
30 > that looks like a fading option these days.....?
33 > James