From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nepomuk indexing, what triggers it?
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 01:26:58
1 Alan McKinnon writes:
2
3 > If I reboot this machine and start KDE, Nepomuk starts a rather
4 > long-lived index of my home directory. It takes up about 30-40% cpu
5 > and lasts as much as 15 minutes sometimes. This is annoying because
6 > after a reboot I usually want to catch up on mail, rss feeds and fire
7 > up VirtualBox. So nepomuk is just wasting my time at this point.
8 >
9 > How does nepomuk know when to do it's thing, how can I tweak what it
10 > does and how can I discover why it feels it necessary to reindex my
11 > entire maildir when surely it has a perfectly valid index already from
12 > just before I shut down?
13
14 I think it starts scanning everything over again at every login. I've been
15 also annoyed by that, so I deactivated it, and activate it from time to
16 time when I am away, so it won't bother me.
17 Or you can have it active, and during login you can suspend Strigi's
18 indexing by right-clicking on the Nepomuk/Strigi icon in the panel.
19
20 You might be interested in this article that came up on the Planet KDE RSS
21 feed yesterday:
22 http://www.afiestas.org/nepomuk-is-not-fast-is-instant/
23
24 It suggests to set fs.inotify.max_user_watches to something quite large
25 like 524288 via sysctl. I assume this is the number of directories being
26 monitored with inotify, and if this is larger than the total number of
27 directories, changes in a directory will be noticed at once. So maybe this
28 will avoid the periodic scanning at all? I did not try this yet. But it
29 won't stop the first scan after login.
30
31 I think I will have to trim the list of directories to index. Currently, I
32 selected my and another user's $HOME, and some data directories. This
33 gives 666,000 files, which is probably a lot. So I guess I'll skip my
34 MP3s, as they are indexed already by Amarok, and also those many
35 directories with source code.
36
37 Wonko