From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Initramfs or move /usr to /, oh my...
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:12:48
1 On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 21:57:39 -0400 (EDT), Bruce Hill, Jr. wrote:
2
3 > > > How do I find out if I am actually *using* an initramfs right now
4 > > > (I know it
5 > > > is built into the kernel), and
6 >
7 > ls -l /boot/ will tell you.
10 No it won't, as the initramfs can be built into the kernel image.
11
12 > There is a difference between an initrd (initial RAM disk) image
13 > (simple) and an initramfs (initial RAM filesystem) (complicated).
14
15 I think you have that the wrong way round. An initramfs is simpler in
16 that you don't have to worry about creating a filesystem or even creating
17 the image file, just give the kernel compilation process a file
18 containing a list of what should be in it.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 Middle-age - because your age starts to show at your middle.