From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no more googleearth in portage
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 18:54:39
1 On Wednesday, September 20, 2017, Raffaele Belardi <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
2 wrote:
3 > I suppose it's due to Google's choice to support only Chrome, although I
4 missed the Gentoo
5 > news bit if there was one.
8 I'm not sure that is right, see here: https://www.google.com/earth/
9 download/gep/agree.html.
10
11 It looks like it is still "supported," but development may have slowed.
12
13 > For Android there is the really good Open Street Map application, are
14 there any desktop
15 > alternatives in Portage for non-Chrome users? I know OSM has a web
16 interface but I'd
17 > prefer a standalone application.
20 Take a look at QGIS.[1] There is also NASA's WorldWind.[2] GIS is the
21 keyword you should be using. It looks like the competitive non-Google Earth
22 software projects are mainly targeted at developers. However, it most
23 places I see that still talk about Google Earth tend to use it in a
24 "developer" role (typically importing GIS data, not software development).
25
26 The best forum topic I could find[3] states (as does the previously
27 referenced bug) Google Earth was removed to sporadic crashes. This may not
28 have been fixed. Regardless, I would invite you to not be afraid of
29 installing packages into your $HOME, e.g. $HOME/.local or another non-root
30 location. This is typically the first step before creating an ebuild.
31
32 Some users seem to install Google Earth with overlays. Overlays should be
33 evaluated with respect to their maintainers, but in general I have only
34 seen them cause problems as they will invariably fall out of date. For
35 sufficiently popular software packages this might not be an issue.
36
37 Cheers,
38 R0b0t1
39
40 [1]: http://www.qgis.org/en/site/
41 [2]: https://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/
42 [3]: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-980876.html)
45 P.S.: If you can find the time, please tell whomever is responsible that
46 the STM32 HAL libraries look like they were designed by poorly supervised
47 interns.