From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT/rant] Self-replicating programmer stupidity
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:21:49
1 On 06/23/2011 07:52 PM, Matthew Finkel wrote:
2 > Programming secure software is not the easiest task to master. It takes
3 > a lot of planning and enough knowledge about the components you're using
4 > to know exactly how they all work together, as well as how they are not
5 > supposed to be used. In many cases, vulnerabilities originate from lack
6 > of knowledge in novice programmers. Other's are just something that was
7 > overlooked in the planning stage, which becomes much more possible as
8 > the size of the program increases. And, of course, sometimes people make
9 > a mistake.
10
11 It's getting easier to write "syntactically" secure code but you can't
12 write "semantically" secure code unless you understand several domains
13 simultaneously. There's been enough foul-ups to make the current
14 generation of tools enforce syntactic security. But just because I *have
15 to* use component XYZ in a function call, doesn't mean I have to make
16 that call with *any* semblance of intelligence about the current state
17 and environment. In other words, as Matthew wrote above, it ain't always
18 that easy. You can bolt the doors and windows, but if your walls are
19 merely sheetrock, a well placed foot will get you in.