From: jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Black Screen of Death
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 05:09:08
1 On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 10:59:23 +1000
2 Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 8:28 AM jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Hi,
7 > >
8 > > For the last 2 months I have been getting a problem where my machine
9 > > locks and after 2 seconds goes to a black screen. The machine is
10 > > then unusable, ctrl-alt-delete F1 or sys rescue keys do not work
11 > > and you cannot remote login.
12 > >
13 > > I initially thought this was a problem with lxd but then experienced
14 > > issue when just using Enlightenment desktop. I have switched to
15 > > xfce4 but still getting issue.
16 > >
17 > > It happens 2 to 3 times a week.
18 > >
19 > > There is nothing in logs (/var/log/messages).
20 > >
21 > > I upgraded BIOS a beginning of year so don't think it's that but
22 > > have just upgraded again to see if that helps.
23 > >
24 > > Running ASUS Prime x470 Prime with ryzen 2700 and have upgraded
25 > > kernel to latest stable when running emerge --update...
26 > >
27 > > Any idea on how to debug an issue like this?
30 > A few questions;
31 > - do you boot straight into X ? If so, have you tried disabling X to
32 > see if the CLI only is stable?
33 > - Which video card and are you using and are you loading the firmware?
34 > - Have you done an emerge @x11-module-rebuild since your last kernel
35 > update?
36 > - Anything interesting in ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log? If 'Build
37 > Operating System' and 'Current Operating System' are different you
38 > could try rebuilding xorg-server, but it shouldn't matter.
39 >
40 > I've only heard of the c-state issue affecting early Ryzen 1s.
41
42 Hi,
43 Will try disabling X as always boot straight into WM.
44
45 Video card in Radeon RX480 and I have firmware loaded into kernel
46 as followed wiki. I will check this I have not looked into this for a
47 long time.
48
49 /.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log Current and Build are consistent.
50
51 I'll see if I can see c-state in BIOS which another email suggests as
52 well.
53
54 Thanks
55