From: Frank Schafer <frank.schafer@×××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why gpm?
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:36:10
1 On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 21:19 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:39:18 +0100, Edward Catmur wrote:
3 >
4 > > I suppose the reason is that when setting up a system on the console, it
5 > > helps to be able to cut-and-paste text with the mouse. While dhcpcd is
6 > > useful for servers, it isn't needed during initial setup, whereas gpm
7 > > is, even if it isn't used after that.
8 >
9 > dhcpcd is the client program too, so it is useful for many people,
10 > especially those with laptops. however, I was pleased when it was removed
11 > from system, it is not essential for everyone, and the docs clearly
12 > mention merging it for those that need it.
13 >
14 > I would say gpm is even less essential, it is useful for some but
15 > essential for nobody. Having said that, it doesn't appear to be in
16 > system. It isn't installed on my server (which doesn't have a mouse) and
17 > in the world file on my desktop, which means I installed it myself.
18 >
19 > Why does the OP think it is part of the base system?
22 That's a very good question. Having a look at the default USE flags we
23 can see, that:
24
25 emboss
26 Adds support for the European Molecular Biology Open Software Suite
27
28 is part of the base system too ;)
29
30 Well, I have "-emboss" amongst my USE flags in make.conf. I'm not a
31 biologist.
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list