From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't build gnome 3.2 (3.0 was ok)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:20:53
1 On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Oct 12 2011, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> When you do layman --sync-all, sometimes the ebuilds are updated, but
5 >> with the same version. Try to recompile every ebuild in the overlay
6 >> that you have installed in your system. At least, try to recompile
7 >> gdm, gnome-shell, and all of its direct dependencies, the packages in
8 >> COMMON_DEPEND, RDEPEND and DEPEND) in the gnome-shell-3.2.0-r1 ebuild.
9 >> Minus the use enabled where you don't set the use flag, of course.
10 >
11 > Recompiles done.  No change
12 >   1.  If gdm maintains its gnome-shell use flag, it crashes
13 >   2.  If gdm has -gnome-shell in package.use, it runs
14 >       but gnome-shell (or something else invoked on login with
15 >       an "empty user") crashes
16 >
17 >> Also: modify /etc/gdm/custom.conf and in the [debug] key set
18 >> "Enable=true". And modify /usr/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop and
19 >> replace Exec=gnome-session with Exec=gnome-session --debug. Then a lot
20 >> more info will be available in ~/.xsession-errors, and we will know
21 >> more.
22 >
23 > Done.  Output below (naturally this is with the gnome-shell use flag
24 > disabled.
25 >
26 > I notice that I have the default "accessibility" use flag on.
27 > I am tempted to turn it off to reduce the number of packages
28 > involved.  Any downside?
29
30 Not that I know of. Can you please backup /var/lib/gdm, and clean the
31 directory completely? Don't erase the directory, just its contents
32 (including *ALL* the hidden files); gdm needs this directory to start,
33 and it's gid gdm and uid gdm.
34
35 After you have cleaned it, recompile gdm with the gnome-shell and try
36 again. I still don't see why gnome-shell is not starting, but gdm may
37 have problems with its user config (which is stored in /var/lib/gdm),
38 and *maybe* gnome-shell cannot start correctly if gdm is not built
39 with the gnome-shell use flag.
40
41 Regards.
42 --