From: KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Formating a USB stick
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 11:22:35
1 daid kahl schrieb:
2 >>> The stick will be used in MSWindows mainly.
3 >> In that case, I'd play safe and format it in Windows.
7 > Ah booo! You're formatting it anyway, so there's no data to lose, and
8 > I can't imagine you'd break it by trying to format it.
9 >
10 > Try it in Linux first and let us know how it goes. I never formatted
11 > a USB stick before, and it might be neat.
12 >
13 > You can always point-and-click to format it in Windows I'm sure.
14 >
15 > Regards,
16 > daid
19 Hi,
20
21 as a matter of fact, you *can't*. I once formated a USB stick as swap
22 (is it 82 or 83?) and used it in Linux as swap. (very little ram on the
23 old vaio I used.)
24 There was a second partition as raiser(?) and also 82 or 83.
25 Anyway later I wanted to use it again and windows was unable to format
26 it. I think it didn't even show up. I had to plug it in Linux and change
27 to b(?).
28 Also I once had a problem with a fat partition of around 200gb on an
29 removable usb hdd. Windows does not like that big FAT. I think the
30 maximum is somewhere around 70? They want to force you to use ntfs then.
31
32 kh