From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} SSD instead of RAID1?
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 16:00:35
1 >>>> Anyway, the point of all this is to prevent an HD failure from
2 >>>> stopping the system.  An SSD is much safer, right?
3 >>>
4 >>> SSDs are still relatively new technology, so predicting failure rates is
5 >>> less reliable. What's wrong with using RAID-1? It's proven technology and
6 >>> totally resistant to a single HD failure.
7 >>
8 >> This was Grant's original question - whether SSD / flash technology is more
9 >> reliable than RAID-1 of conventional disks? - and one to which no-one
10 >> appeared comfortable giving a categorical answer.
11 >>
12 >> Stroller.
13 >
14 > I've come up with a couple reasons to wait a bit longer to switch my
15 > important systems to SSD.
16 >
17 > 1. SLC is faster and (more importantly) should last much longer than
18 > MLC.  The Super Talent Ultradrive 32GB drives are priced ~$120 for MLC
19 > and ~$350 for SLC, so I'd like to wait for that SLC price to drop.
20 > It's worth mentioning though, that even conservative estimates of MLC
21 > lifetimes put them far beyond that of HD drives.
22 >
23 > 2. SSD fIrmware is being updated relatively frequently right now
24 > (especially newer SSDs) and all data is lost during a firmware update.
25 >
26 > I'm sold on SSDs as RAID1 replacements though.
27 >
28 > BTW, I read that Samsung manufactures the memory for all major brand
29 > SSDs (including Super Talent).
30 >
31 > - Grant
32