From: "C.Beamer" <cbeamer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Botched Gentoo Install
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 01:07:05
1 Hello all,
2
3 This will be a bit lengthy and I apologize for that, but I don't know
4 exactly where I went wrong, so am providing all details.
5
6 First, I am new to Gentoo, but not new to Linux. I have installed
7 source tarballs on other distributions (mostly Redhat and Fedora), but
8 have never configured Linux in the same manner as required for Gentoo.
9 However, I am not stupid, although not a computer science grad, so all I
10 really need is a push in the right direction with an explanation that
11 doesn't required you to be a "geek" to understand (I'm a wanna be
12 "geek", but nowhere near that elite status! :-) ).
13
14 Okay, short story first. This was my second attempt at installing
15 Gentoo. The first time, I got to the point where I could boot from the
16 hard drive, but when I tried to connect to the network (i.e. my isp via
17 cable modem), I had no connection. I had missed a step somewhere.
18
19 Anyway, I went back to square one because I wasn't sure exactly where I
20 had missed the step and even if I could have surmised it, I wasn't sure
21 if I could recover from that point. This wasn't a problem and it was a
22 good learning experience. Attempt 2 was successful in that I could boot
23 my system and eth0 was recognized and functional.
24
25 >From here, I did a quantum leap. I didn't know where to start so, I
26 just typed 'emerge kde' 3 days later, kde was installed along with X,
27 which of course I know kde is dependent on. At this point, I tried to
28 startx to see what the system looked like and to try to determine
29 exactly how much of kde had been installed - ie whether I had any
30 further components to install. Well, that's where my problem starts.
31
32 After attempting to connect to the xserver, I got my shell prompt back
33 again with the following printed on the screen:
34
35 New driver is "i810"
36 (==)Using default built in configuration
37 (EE) open /dev/fb0: No such device --> I have no idea what this means
38 (EE) GARTinit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (no such file or directory)
39 (EE)I810(0) AGPGART support is not available. Make sure your kernel has
40 agpgart support or that the agpgart kernel module is loaded
41 (EE)Screens found, but non have useable configuration
42 Fatal server error:
43 no screens found
44
45 Now for the details:
46
47 When I initially booted from the Gentoo CD, at the boot prompt, I typed
48 gentoo dopcmcia agpgart acpi=on
49
50 The reason that I did this was because when I had Fedora Core installed
51 on that computer, I noticed references to those things during the boot -
52 I ALWAYS boot into runlevel 3 rather that runlevel 5
53
54 I didn't install any extra kernel modules because when I got to the
55 point in the Handbook that showed the command to list the available
56 modules, on issuing the command, I didn't know what any of them were, so
57 left well enough alone.
58
59 Probably not relevant to this issue, but in my make.conf file, I
60 probably went overboard with the USE flags. I included everything that
61 I recognized or that sounded interesting that wasn't in the
62 make.defaults file.
63
64 In my grub.conf file, I *didn't* use the vga line that the Handbook said
65 could be used because from what I read in the Handbook, I didn't think I
66 needed to.
67
68 Graphics integrated into the system board into the system board: - an
69 Intel i810 chip.
70 Specifics:
71
72 Integrated Intel Direct AGP Graphics Accelerator with Dynamic Video Memory (DVM) technology architecture.
73
74 Other details are as follows (I provide this in case it is thought that
75 I should have installed an extra kernel module):
76
77 Graphics architecture: Intel Dynamic Video Memory (DVM) technology
78
79 Graphics accelerator: Intel Direct Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP)
80 2D and 3D graphics accelerator
81
82 Display cache: 4 MB, 100-MHz synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM)
83
84 Graphics memory: Dynamically assigned from system memory
85
86 Video resolutions
87
88 800 x 600 pixels; 85 hertz (Hz) refresh rate with 16.7 million colors
89
90 1024 x 786 pixels; 85 Hz refresh rate with 64,000 colors
91
92 1280 x 1024 pixels; 85 Hz refresh rate with 256 colors
93
94 1600 x 1200 pixels 75 Hz refresh rate with 256 colors
95
96 The computer is a Dell Optiplex GX100 and the monitor is a Dell E551,
97 which has always been recognized on other Linux installs (as far back as
98 Redhat 9.0), so I don't think that it is special.
99
100 Any ideas where I went wrong? Is this recoverable without having to
101 reinstall everything?
102
103 I don't mind reinstalling. I'm doing this on an old PC (600 MHz Celeron
104 processor). The idea is to get Gentoo to the point where I have my
105 Fedora Core system and if I can do that, I'm going to ditch FC4 in
106 favour of Gentoo.
107
108 Oh another piece of info. This has to be something that I missed
109 doing. The computer I'm using once had Fedora Core 3 on it, I have
110 tried Ubuntu on it and I can run a Knoppix 3.9 live CD on it, so I know
111 that I should be able to install Gentoo on it.
112
113 If the concensus is that I should again start from scratch, any ideas on
114 what I should have done would be appreciated so that I don't repeat my
115 mistakes.
116
117 Thanks for the patience in reading this.
118
119 Regards,
120
121 Colleen