From: Matt Randolph <mattr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My Continuing ALSA Woes
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 19:08:43
1 Michael Sullivan wrote:
2
3 >On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 08:51 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
6 >>On 10/22/05, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
10 >>>Yes. I sent the output in a previous post. I don't use aplay very
11 >>>often, but I believe that the output it gave was the output it's
12 >>>supposed to give on a working sound system, except that there was no
13 >>>sound coming out of the speakers. I checked and the speakers are turned
14 >>>on and plugged into the PC and I turned the volume all the way up before
15 >>>running aplay and still didn't hear the wav file.
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >>I'm really hesitant to mention this one, but others have done it and
19 >>so have I oncce or twice. Are you sure you have the speakers plugged
20 >>into the right output from the motherboard? Normally it's the green
21 >>one in the middle.
22 >>
23 >>Also, there was a time when the Intel 810 was senting output out on
24 >>some other plug on a couple of machines. Try the headphone output plug
25 >>as well as the speaker output plug.
26 >>
27 >>- Mark
32 >I have my speakers plugged into the headphone jack on the front of the
33 >case. That's the only way I could get sound out of them in Windows XP.
38 The headphone jack on the front of the case? First of all, make sure
39 that this is not the headphone jack on the front of the CD-ROM drive.
40 If this is actually just an alternate front panel jack you should still
41 try using the standard jack on the rear of the machine. What if there
42 was something wrong with the front panel lead or jacks? If you couldn't
43 get sound out of your machine under Windows through the regular
44 speaker-out or line-out jacks, and you could only get sound out of this
45 front panel connector, then either you have a serious hardware problem
46 with the card or you installed the front panel lead improperly. On my
47 newer machines, the front panel lead connects to the appropriate pins on
48 the motherboard not once, but twice. The second connection serves as a
49 jumper to enable the front panel connectors to work as well as the rear
50 panel connectors. Check your motherboard manual to be sure that you
51 have things wired up correctly. It sounds like you don't. If
52 everything IS wired up correctly and both problems still persist (the
53 Windows one and the ALSA one), then I'd urge you to run out and buy a
54 new card.
55 --
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list