From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] java vs. javascript - what's the difference?
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:49:29
1 On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:02:53PM -0600, Penguin Lover John Jolet squawked:
2 > javascript is, in fact, not java. typically, in the context of web
3 > sites, java is run server-side and essentially returns html for your
4
5 Not quite. Java applets are mostly run client side, with possibly
6 a server-side counterpart for communications.
7
8 > browser to interpret. javascript, on the other hand, was, I believe,
9 > developed by netscape, not sun. they just called it that because it
10 > has some similarities with java. it is client-side, like microsoft's
11 > proprietary activex technology. Their response was probably fine,
12 > since there is, in fact, no java in javascript, despite the name. :)
13 >
14 > Oddly enough, I had no problems with the smith and noble website with
15 > firefox on my gentoo laptop...but that was a few months ago.
18 Also, I can reproduce the error on
19 http://www.smithandnoble.com/sn/photoGalleryDetail.jsp?catID=-14150
20 with firefox 1.0.7-r2 and mozilla-1.7.12-r2
21
22 Javascript Console on both shows the following:
23
24 Error: document.frm_bundle.heroImage has no properties
25 SourceFile: http://www.smithandnoble.com/sn/photoGalleryDetail.jsp?catID=-14150 line 114
26
27 For what it's worth, I believe those people reporting "success" might
28 be trying the wrong page. The website redirects all deep-links to the
29 front page.
30
31 To reproduce the error, go to the frontpage of smith and noble, on the
32 left hand side, click Photo Gallery. Choose an arbitrary gallery from
33 the right when it appears, open up javascript console from
34 "Tools->Javascript console" in Firefox or "Tools->Web
35 development->Javascript Console" in Mozilla. Click on one of the
36 thumbnails on the right (the hyperlink should say
37 "javascript.switchImage(2)"), and see the image fail to load.
38
39 To the OP: that might also be one of the reasons your bug was marked
40 invalid. They cannot reproduce the error from the description you
41 gave.
42
43 >From my limited knowledge of javascript, I can't tell whether it is
44 a badly written javascript that parses in IE but not in Firefox, or
45 Firefox not supporting the full "standard", or perhaps the
46 site-designer used some IE-only extensions.
47
48 I haven't tried Opera or Konqueror (don't have either installed). Any
49 input?
50
51 W
52 --
53 "`The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin,
54 `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The
55 third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went
56 into a bit of a decline.'"
57
58 - Marvin reflecting back on his 576,000,003,579 year
59 career as Milliways' car park attendent.
60 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 36 days, 12:54
61 --
62 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list