From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo install speechless
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 03:18:36
1 On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 13:08:51 -0400,
2 Jude DaShiell wrote:
3 >
4 > I got gentoo to boot and espeak although in the default run level with
5 > speakup-soft=soft enabled in the kernel espeak is silent. I know the
6 > system booted since I uncommented the TUNE line in grub and also added in
7 > pcspkr into the kernel so was able to do a root login and then hit
8 > backspace and the pc speaker beeps. I did not yet emerge alsa-utils if
9 > such a package exists in gentoo yet. I'll have to use the install disk
10 > again and get to chroot /mnt/gentoo environment again and try to emerge
11 > alsa-utils to run speaker-test. I did hear speakers click twice during
12 > the boot process so those probably work.
13 > For me it takes about 2 days to do this kind of linux install with gentoo
14 > and even with fedora moonshine that took less time to install and have
15 > come up talking.
16 > I did not go the systemd route, systemd looked lots more complex and I'm
17 > having plenty of trouble with openrc as things stand.
18 > More later as I find it out. Probably good an accessibility podcast for
19 > gentoo is never done, I think such a podcast would deter any potential
20 > accessibility users from ever attempting an install of gentoo.
21
22 Did you load the speakup-soft module during boot using /etc/modules or
23 maybe /etc/conf.d/modules or whatever the correct name is? This
24 should get the module loaded and if using espeak, you execute that
25 command, maybe in your rc.local or some convenient place and you
26 should be good to go, provided alsa is working. No worse than other
27 distros. I have speakup built into the kernel and use a hardware
28 synth, so I am a bit better off, but you should still be able to get
29 things going.
32 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
33 How do
34 you spend it?
35
36 John Covici wb2una