From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Today's sync breaks stuff
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 16:01:11
1 Hi all,
2
3 Here follows a quick heads up to save someone's hair (mine's been pulled
4 out).
5
6 If you emerge --sync && emerge world today, make sure you do it the
7 right way this time:
8
9 1. read the elogs
10 2. revdep-rebuild
11 3. then and only then, reboot. Better still, exit X and log in again to
12 make sure it still works then only reboot.
13
14 libtool got bumped to 2.2.4, which installs libltdl.so.3 which breaks a
15 huge list of dependencies - much longer than I've seen in ages. In my
16 case my dm and wm were broken so when X starts nothing happens and I
17 lost the keyboard. Couldn't even get to a virtual console so had to do
18 the usual fight with boot single user mode, remount / rw, start lvm,
19 manually mount ... you get the idea
20
21 alan
25 Alan McKinnon