From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Offtopic] Lightweight server distro for an old motherboard
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:14:00
1 On Wednesday 29 August 2012 04:41:54 Andrew Lowe wrote:
2
3 > It had Gentoo on it for ages, and has not been updated in ages. It
4 > takes "years" to do anything, with respect to compiling so I'm just
5 > looking for a simple "point and click", binary download type of
6 > thingy to keep it going. I've been down the cross compile route also
7 > - once bitten twice shy and I don't care how many strides the dev's
8 > have made in recent years, I'm not trying again on principle.
9
10 Several people here run Gentoo on tiny boxes. The way I do it is to have
11 a chroot on my workstation with identical portage config to the tiny box.
12 First export the packages directory on the target to the chroot on the
13 workstation, then chroot into it, run emerge and so on to build the
14 packages. Then ssh to the target and emerge -k.
15
16 With my little Atom box the whole operation is quick and simple (since I
17 learned the routine!). I'm sure it's easier and more reliable than
18 cross-compiling, if only because it uses just the standard portage tools
19 with no extra complications.
22 Rgds
23 Peter