From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fan noise in recent kernels
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 00:28:41
1 On 8/25/05, Glenn Enright <elinar@×××××××.nz> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:44, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > Humm... I tried gkrellm2 on one machine. It runs but I haven't figured
4 > > out how to make it show me fans and temps. I wonder if this older Asus
5 > > A7V266-E machine can do that?
6 > >
7 > > I also emerge gkrellm-sensors but I'll have to find some info on how
8 > > to use that. Possibly it's part of the solution.
9 > >
10 > > Thanks,
11 > > Mark
12 > Ok fair nough. I belive that gkrellm2 has most of the plugins as part of its
13 > emerge, sorta like a monlithic ebuild, wheras gkrellm-sensors is part of
14 > gkrelm version1.
15 >
16 > to configure right click on gkrelm and look for sensors under plugins. If
17 > everything is working, there should be a big list of checkboxes there you may
18 > enable. if you modprobe these modules *after* starting gkrellm it wont pick
19 > them up tho.
22 OK, my bad for not seeing sensors in the list of things I could
23 configure in gkrellm. I'm now getting 1 fan speed and 2 temp readings.
24 One temp said 32C while the other said 68C. I ran glxgears for 5
25 minutes and watched those move to 33C & 70.5C. There's a bit of a
26 thermal lag. After I turned off glxgears the temp continued to go up
27 for about 1 more minute and has now started down slowly.
28
29 I suppose now the thing to do would be to run this on all the systems
30 with 2.6.12-gentoo-r6/r9 and then see about building one of the
31 earlier kernels and look for differences.
32
33 Thanks for the clues.
34
35 Cheers,