From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT and ducking buckshot] How can I tell Debian version installed
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 02:32:21
1 Don't shoot. I ask here because I know some here are debian users.
2
3 I just created an vmware app with debian... I thought I was using the
4 newest install media for latest release (lenny I think).
5
6 But once installed (and this was a network install not from disc) I
7 find really ancient tools.. a 2.6.18 kernel for example.
8
9 Running `apt-cache search emacs' shows the newest available version to
10 be emacs-21... which is barely even supported still.
11
12 I must need to edit my sources for package installs or something but
13 isn't there a way to know right off the bat what version of debian you
14 have?
15
16 But I'm thinking I've got hold of some older version here.