From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To all IPv6-slackers among the Gentoo community
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 18:27:07
1 On 26/11/19 23:56, Ralph Seichter wrote:
2 > * Adam Carter:
3 >
4 >> when i enable v6, all my internal hosts become directly routable from
5 >> the Internet via the /56 my ISP assigns me.
6 >
7 > Even pretty anemic hardware can handle the demands of an IPv6 firewall,
8 > for example using iptables/nftables. The demands of IPV6-related
9 > processing should actually be a bit lower than for IPv4, because IPv6
10 > does not need NAT.
11 >
12 AND a router should be able to handle IPv6 easier than v4, because the
13 routing is hierarchical. v4 was meant to be like that, but fragmentation
14 has completely messed things up. v4 routing tables are now a complete mess.
15
16 v6 allocates a huge block to each of the registries, which is subdivided
17 among the ISPs, which is subdivided among the customers, which is then
18 shared out among the customer's network. So each router has a much
19 simpler task just shunting packets up or down based on whether the
20 computer's address belongs to the router's network or not.
21
22 Cheers,
23 Wol